Friday, February 11, 2011

Ooooooooogallala where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains!

Britt's comment on my last post made me realize that I haven't posted any updates on where we are or what we're doing. Here's a Reader's Digest version of the adventures of the Sisson family in the last little while.

Due to a big, fat legal mess that started before we got to Montana, Aaron and several others lose their jobs at the National Bison Range. Oh - just kidding! The Fish and Wildlife Service picked him up as an emergency 30-day hire to get the bison roundup accomplished. Oh, did we say 30 days? We meant 13. (Good thing Aaron and I were in Wyoming when we heard the news, on our way back from a stellar job interview.) Since we were jobless, we rerouted our trip to Utah so Noah and I could hang out with Nona and Poppa while Aaron flew to NY for a hunting trip with his family.


He didn't get the job in Wyoming, but the same guy that interviewed him for the job in Wyoming interviewed him for another one in Nebraska, which he got. So we went back to Montana, packed up all our stuff, gave birth to Eliza, and Aaron moved all our stuff to Nebraska and found us a place to live, while my saintly mother cleaned up my house and helped me and the kids get down to Utah for Thanksgiving. Aaron joined us, and after a lovely time recuperating and chillin' with the fam, we embarked on a new adventure in Ogallala, Nebraska.

For those of you who have never heard of Ogallala, it's in the armpit of Nebraska. No, really. Ya know where Colorado takes a chunk out of Nebraska, making it look like it has an armpit? That's where we live. I didn't think I could get any further from a Walmart, Target, major airport, and caffeine-free Diet Coke in Ronan, but I was wrong. Although Ogallala does have three craft stores, and the library is easily double the size of Ronan's.

Despite the distance from urban conveniences, Ogallala is a charming little town and we are loving it here. We have found the legends of Midwestern hospitality to be true; the people will give you the shirt of their backs, even if there isn't one underneath. It's about the perfect size of town for us - big enough for a craft store and a library, but small enough for hunting to be close. If I could install the Mission Mountain range nearby, reduce amount of wind, import all our friends from all the places we've lived in the last year and a half, and move the whole thing 30-45 minutes away from Highland, UT, I'd be in paradise.

4 comments:

Receli said...

I am glad you are liking it! We are gonna move to AZ after Skyler graduates. I guess life is just unexpected! ps Both my sister have lived in Omaha. They really liked Nebraska... and the zoo!

Kimberly said...

Hooray for new posts! Joe and I had lots of laughs reading your last few posts and I am extremely jealous about Eliza's hair. What a cutie! Glad to hear that Aaron got a job, but we hope to see you sometime back in Utah, too. We will be in Provo quite some time.

The Wasek Family said...

Wow, that's a lot! I'm glad you like where you are at now! Your kids are adorable!

Crazy Eddie said...

Welcome to Nebraska! It really is a wonderful place, even if we don't have any mountains. I hope your life in the cornhusker state is full of joy!

ILoveMcCook.com